Niamey
To Family and Friends…
I am a Journeyman missionary through the IMB-SBC. I just arrived in Niamey, the capital of Niger. I'll be here fore a week or so. It's hot, it's dusty, but the people here are wonderful, both missionaries and nationals.
What I have done...
October—
*Epic team recited 33 oral!!! Bible stories to Wyclif/SIL training participants
*Hiked to a waterfall, shopped at local markets, ate new food, yum
What I will be doing...
November—
*1 ½ weeks: Language learning in Niamey, Niger
*2 ½ weeks: Settle into new home base in BK & Engage the Sokoto Fulani people in villages
*1 week: Return to BK base & Debrief in Niamey
December –
*3 weeks: Language learning and worldview research in villages
*1 week: Return to BK base & Debrief in Niamey
January –
*Storying training continued
*Prepare for summer volunteer teams to come here from Hmong Baptist churches
Thoughts
When was the last time you wept for joy? For me, I can’t remember.
As I memorize Bible stories and begin telling them in my own words, my heart fills with joy for those who believe in the message of Jesus the Savior but then my heart begins to break for those who have never heard or have rejected Jesus. These were my thoughts in the past mornings as I recited stories of fear, pain, hope and miracles. Yet God remains my portion forever, my trustworthy source for everything I need (Psalm 73:26).
What I want is to weep for joy. The last time I really cried I was leaving my loved ones at home. But I want to weep for joy for the coming day when Jesus returns to bring us all home. I want to weep for joy for the lost souls that will hear and believe before the judgment of whole world. I ask God to renew in believers everywhere the JOY of once being lost but now found. I ask God to bring showers of JOY to us wherever we are!
This is a picture of my teams’ shadows. This reminds me, just like in the storm that welcomed us to Cameroon, of God walking with us wherever we are. I always hope that my sisters and brothers in Christ are reminded daily of God’s love and presence in their lives. Be encouraged to be faithful to His purpose for your lives. My prayers are with you.
Praise
o Rebekah and Tara~ they were sick for a few days, but they are recovering steadily
o I’ve been blessed by the testimonies of many Cameroonian believers: Lilian, Dahiru, Karen, Daniel, Landry and Elsie
o I’ve been able to spend essential time each morning walking and talking to myself and to God
o No more scary dreams! I am sleeping better, at least 6 hrs a night. And I’ve been dutifully taking my meds except the BIG calcium pill, but I will try smashing it upJ
o God is working to renew in us the joy of our salvation and I have seen it with several believers here! All praise to God!
Prayers
o Please pray for each team member to commit time with God daily in the midst of language and culture learning and serving others’ spiritual and physical needs
o We have learned about the purpose of storying~ that it is a lifetime of application and revelation. Please pray that God’s Spirit will magnify all of our efforts in using oral Bible storying to reach the Sokoto Fulani, even in the beginning stages
o Safe travels! We have 6+ hour drives every time we go anywhere and we will be on-the-go a lot!
o The ladies have a virus and I hope I don’t get it! Please pray for continual good health with the ladies as well as the guys
o Transitions – it’s not finished yet. We will be in our new homes soon. Please pray that we are salt and light in every opportunity God gives us
Much love ya’ll. Blessings.
Friday, October 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are my lady!!! Your call to me was so special... aw my lady. I love and miss and love and miss and love and love you. Yes, I do.
Post a Comment