Thursday, October 20, 2005

Cameroon


To Family and Friends…
I'm in Cameroon for two weeks for Bible Storying training. It's like Sunday School, take it to the next level, and make it a life application. I love it, love it, love it.

What I will be doing...
October—Bible translation training with Wyclif/SIL in Bamenda, Cameroon
*Learn about what it means to literally put together Bible story sets of voice recordings that give a redemptive panorama of Jesus Christ based on worldviews and cultural beliefs
*Work through translating the Fulani language Fulfulde and understanding the Islamic faith with a Cameroonian believer, Dahiru Issa, a Muslim who came to Christ two years ago
November & December—Language learning in Niamey, Niger AND Engaging the Sokoto Fulani people group in BK, my new hometown
January –Prepare for summer volunteer teams to come here from Hmong Baptist churches

Thoughts
Thunder, lightning and pouring rain greeted us upon arrival in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
We were thankful God waited until we landed to shake things up. In a strange and comforting way, the storm showed us how God was present and always will be walking with us in our journey. Toby, Tara, Bradley, Rebekah and I are currently in beautiful Bamenda “story-crafting” with Wyclif/SIL and World Team missionaries and Cameroonian ministry leaders. We are and have been surrounded by faithful believers who are teaching us so much, in the states and in Africa. I am so grateful for them. We are in Cameroon until October 30th. Afterwards, we head to Niger.
Right now, I ask for your continued prayers:

Praise
o God’s desire for my relationships is to bring us closer to Him through many challenges and experiences, not just one. I am humbled in Him and hopeful for my family and for Ben, putting all my trust in God to take care of us all
o Both teams are growing together spiritually and physically. We’re getting to know each other better during walks into town, training activities, prayer time, team meetings and playtime! We also had our first African meal, foo foo and jama jama, a ground corn paste and a green leafy sauce. The whole team ate a decent amount. Praise God!
o Peter, a short-term volunteer graduate of Northwestern College, MN, spent three months in a village learning our people’s language. He shared with us some resources and gave us hope for learning the Fulfulde language

Prayers
o Finding and nurturing believers in our people group to help us record our story set in our Fulfulde dialect when we begin working in Niger
o Rebekah~ to persevere in missing family and friends, understanding God’s desires for her in West Africa and adapting to cultural and language obstacles
o Cameroonian believers and Ex-patriot missionaries~ their hearts desire is to serve the people of Cameroon. Pray for unity as they work together to spread the Gospel, faith in their call to serve in all circumstances, fellowship of the body amidst all the work, and the will of God to be powerful and evident in their lives as believers
o My time with the Lord~ to study the Bible scriptures that He brings to mind and to be at peace in mind and heart so that I can hear what He wants to teach me
o My time with people~ to build transparent and trustworthy relationships with teammates and nationals, relationships that bless the Lord
o My health and safety~ I struggle with swallowing pills and with being attentive to my surroundings. I am also not sleeping well due to my mefloquine malaria medicine. Pray for strength to take my meds and for alertness wherever I go

Thank you. I love you guys. God bless.

No comments: