Dear Family and Friends…
Pulaaku is the world of the traditional Fulani, controlling and defining a Fulani’s role in the family and larger community.
What have I done…
May, June & July – continued language study in village, collected more cultural narratives, studied Fulani storying styles, attended West Africa personnel conference in Togo
What I will be doing...
August – assisting training in Niamey for new OneStory team, Reaiah and Kaci, working with the Malinke people of Mali
September –crafting, back-translating and anchoring Way stories in Fulfulde
October – Niger & Mali OneStory teams retreat and multi-trainings in Mali
Thoughts
“I need thee ev’ry hour…” My abilities to grow in language listening/talking and grasp cultural nuances has been stretched and strained beyond me. I’m tired of the plateau, feeling like I’m going nowhere. I am asking Him every day, every hour, to show me how to apply what language and cultural values I’ve learned but I’m not seeing growth and I want it so much. Even as the meaning and impact of pulaaku enters our Fulani worldview, I don’t know what the next step is! (sigh) I try to remember the work of the Spirit. I think about the faithfulness of our Father. I need to trust that every story from His Word will be made perfect, in crafting and translation, in His time and His way. My greatest need is abandonment to Him, though it’s easier said than done. I take myself too seriously and I have always taken responsibilities seriously – how about taking Him seriously and accepting that He will accomplish all of the above and more?! Father, correct me, but please be gentle.
I Praise Him…
o WA personnel conference – I went thinking I had nothing in common with them but realized they’ve been perfectly placed in my life for the purpose of being brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers of One Spirit and One Body
o Culture – I am getting below the surface and it is bittersweet; His wisdom and discernment guides me through it all
o Vang Family – I miss them fiercely; but He’s given them opportunity for spiritual growth and softened their hearts and I know He is working in each of their lives
o Relationship with Ben –Realizing that my desire for the peoples of West Africa to hear the Message did not diminish my love for my boyfriend back home was an answer I’ve been waiting for since I came to the field
I Ask Him…
o House–I am getting a house instead of a hut, but it is a delicate situation; may I be sensitive and respond to the family’s needs as well as wise in preparing the way for the Word in their lives
o News and Pryer updates – I am committing to keeping in touch with home folks more often and consistently but I need an advocate back home and self-discipline to call them and inform them when there is no internet access
o Eastern Fulani teams – Melissa and Rachel, Sarah and Jessica~ more witnesses to His Faithfulness to the Fulani peoples and beginning to build language and relationships out east where there are few to no believers
o Nearing 1 Year Mark –Much is expected, but I ask for peace of heart and mind in where He wants us above all else
Praise Him!
Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment