Sunday, December 11, 2005

Aissa


To Family and Friends…
To the Fulani I am Aissa.
The Fulani are Muslim in their faith and proud of their language and heritage. They are a minority group, speaking two or more languages and sharing some language and cultural values with the local, dominant culture, Hausa.

What I have done...
November—
*Continued Fulfulde language study in BK base with Hamani, a Fulani man who speaks English, French, Fulfulde and more!
*Searched the streets for fried food, fun fabric and friendly Fulani women
*Stayed with a Fulani village chief’s family
*Practiced language skills, or lack thereof, with young women and girls in BK and villages
*Consumed Thanksgiving meal and several pies with fellow IMB missionaries in Niamey

What I will be doing...
December – Language and worldview learning in my village, return to BK base and debrief in Niamey the 24th+

January –Training on storying, church planting movements and preparing for summer volunteers to come from Hmong Baptist churches

***

Thoughts
I read somewhere that every identity crisis is an identity confirmation.
This is very true for me right now. With my surroundings constantly changing these days, I am confused and burdened with what it means to be Hmong, a young woman, an American, a follower of Christ- what it means to be me in Africa. From place to place and person to person, I have doubted or second-guessed my cultural and worldview beliefs and values. I thought I knew myself well but all that I am learning and experiencing here is changing and reshaping it all. And although I am weak and weary from these past few months, there remains one thing about me that will never change: who I am in Christ Jesus.
It is who I am in Christ Jesus that clarifies everything I know and understand about myself and others. When I am brought back to God’s Word and the desire to put it to memory as well as to practice, I don’t live to define myself, limited to what I think and feel, but I live to define Jesus, his life, death and resurrection. I live with the living Word as my every breath and my every thought. I confess I am weak, weary and unable, but that is when I am most able to be used by God. Bearing these crises and crosses, we do not bear it alone. We have hope in Jesus, who suffered so much more and suffered it all for us. We have life in Jesus, be it in the bush in Africa or at home, because our crises will come and go, but the cross will always be there.

Praise
o Language learning is happening~ Praise God for His faithfulness and grace throughout our learning, memorizing, practicing and failing, but failing forward
o Thank the Lord for providing care when we get sick~ Almost all of us have had malaria or viruses, but all in Niamey so we had access to doctors, medicine and rest
o Thanksgiving was a fun and relaxing time~ Both teams touched base with our supervisor Judy and we went out to see herds of giraffes (is there another way to say it?)
o Village stays have been eye-opening and full of Fulfulde~ Thank God for the families who are sharing their homes, food, culture and so much more with complete strangers

Prayers
o Safe travels always! 6+ hour drives often, even longer for the Tuareg Team
o The Lottie Moon Offering of the Southern Baptist Convention during Christmastime funds most of the needs in International Missions. Pray for God to lead churches and individuals to give graciously to Lottie Moon, serving us as we serve in the world
o For my Bible reading and personal time with the Lord. This is where I suffer the most and where I need it the most out here. Pray that this time will become concrete and consistent this coming year

Lifting my hands and heart for His people always. God be with you this holiday season.

-Seng

PLEASE NOTE***After February 2006, I will only be in Niamey once every 3 months, so a new mailing address will be used. Please contact me if you'd like the new mailing address.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lady, I miss you so much. I couldn't hear you when you called. I don't know if you heard me, but I said sweet things. I love you babe. I miss you I miss you I miss you. I pray for you, and I think of you and how awesome you are. You are more than I deserve. I think that you are the best thing in the whole world!!!! And, the fact taht you are MINE makes you even better!

Bethgun said...

Seng, thanks for sharing your journey and struggles so openly with us. I am lifting you up and asking for grace and peace upon you daily.